qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Shaw" <stes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: bootstrap problem
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 19:13:40 GMT
On 05/12/06, Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> wrote:
> I've tried to explain that there is no point in trying to make
> the bootstrap procedure work for older build environments.
> In fact, doing so would be seriously counterproductive.

I understand that point of view.

It didn't seem to couterproductive though as it hasn't been working
for me on Ubuntu Edgy or on RHEL3. By making a couple of small changes
I have ./bootstap running without error. Now it's just a matter of
figuring out why the APR libraries aren't included in the link
commands!

For what it's worth my original plan had been to build the ./configure
at home on Ubuntu Edgy and email the ./configure script into work to
run on rhel3. That didn't work out because ./bootstrap failed on
Ubuntu Edgy.

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/

> FYI, the http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/ page does say
> "See the GNU Automake home page", which is a link to the above URL.

Hah well I didn't noticed that. It didn't say click here to find out
what the stable version is.

> But nothing in lib/client should need libapr.
> libapr should be been linked into the `common' shared library.

Maybe it's not working.

> It is defined by configure.
> The actual value it gets set to can be seen in lib/common/Makefile.
> For me it's empty because I turned it off:
>
>     $ grep APR_LIBS.= lib/common/Makefile
>     APR_LIBS =

Well it's not for me:

$ grep APR_LIBS lib/common/Makefile
  $(APR_LIBS)                   \

Maybe it's because I'm using these old autotools version. Tomorrow
I'll try with automake 1.10 and see if it works with the latest stable
autotools.

Cheers,
Steve.