qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Shaw" <stes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [java] Question on implementing queue browsing
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 07:16:49 GMT
On 06/12/06, John O'Hara <john.r.ohara@gmail.com> wrote:
> The MULE use case threw me - I went and looked a the code in the link and it
> strikes me a wierd too.

I thought more about it and perhaps they do it because the other
option is to poll with MessageConsumer.receiveNoWait or receive(long
timeout) and use CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE mode. The poller would of course
not ACK the message. Instead when it finds a message it hands of to
it's worker.

However if there are other consumers on that queue this could affect
ordering in perhaps unexpected ways. However, I think that if using
this mule "poller" that it is probably the only consumer on that
queue.

Maybe what Mule is trying to do is select(). i.e. select() over
multiple queues. It is trying to get a "readiness event" from multiple
queues. Perhaps we should think about adding something like this to
AMQP.

> But the Mule usage is something much more dynamic; possibly illegal, and
> certainly not portable.

Why not portable if it uses JMS queue browsing?

Cheers,
Steve.