qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [java] Question on implementing queue browsing
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 20:11:54 GMT

Tim Fox wrote:

> Das, Kapali Tejeswar wrote:
>> I am currently working on implementing the JMS queue browsing
>> functionality. Qpid uses java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue for its
>> internal queue for enqueing and dequeing messages. This class doesn't
>> allow to peek/browse messages in the queue. It only has methods to put a
>> message or get a message (with a timeout).
>
> Right. Also, for JMS, you'll need to implement some kind of priority
> queue, which SynchronousQueue won't handle.

Tej,

In most use cases queue browsing can be counter productive for clients
that want throughput or guarantees so we should not penalize the
non-browsing and priority use cases. I also think that we might need to
add to specification to complete this as I don't think it can be done on
0-8 without being very hacky ...  Have you been able to map this through
the current specification or is the starting point to define a peek cmd
needed in the spec that we can provide to the working group. The
interaction pattern and semantics between peeking the queue and messages
being removed needs also be defined.

Carl.