qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Fox <tim....@jboss.com>
Subject Re: clustering
Date Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:05:05 GMT
Personally I would never use a total ordering protocol (e.g. totem) to
implement clustering for messaging.

Naive clustering approaches often try to replicate the queue state
machine across different nodes, and require some kind of total ordering
to ensure the states are consistent.

You'll find this approach doesn't scale, since every replica in the
cluster has to receive all updates from every other node. Therefore the
amount of load on a particular node increases linearly with the number
of nodes in the cluster.

BTW we use JGroups for clustering, but don't use total ordering. JGroups
is a common API to a number of different protocols.

--
Tim Fox
JBoss Messaging Technical Lead