qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Vinoski <vino...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Qpid Java Build Instructions - Trunk (M2+)
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:48:40 GMT

On Dec 4, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Gordon Sim wrote:

> Steve Vinoski wrote:

>>> In the assembly (like bin.xml), you should just be able to change
>>> the "formats" section to read something like:
>>>
>>>   <formats>
>>>     <format>tar.gz</format>
>>>     <format>zip</format>
>>>     <format>dir</format>
>>>   </formats>
>>>
>>> I've never tried it though.   I'm not sure how well that works
>>> (or what then
>>> happens at install/deploy time for the dir).
>> Thanks Dan. Looks like there's a bug in assembly 2.1 that keeps
>> this from working [1]. It appears fixed with assembly 2.2-
>> SNAPSHOT, but using that version causes warnings elsewhere, which
>> I think I can fix. The result does produce a working copy under
>> distribution/target/qpid-1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT-java-bin.dir/
>> qpid-1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT, and if you set QPID_HOME to that
>> and add $QPID_HOME/bin to your PATH, then qpid-server works fine.
>> Gordon, Robert, everyone: shall we go with this approach then?
>
> It's better than nothing certainly!
>
> If the path wasn't so awkward and if you could create that layout
> from the base java directory (rather than from the distribution
> directory) it would be ideal. How easy is it to work around these
> sorts of things in maven?

OK, you can now build a directory version of the java-bin assembly,
and specify the output directory as well. Let's say you have
QPID_HOME set to /tmp/qpid/qpid-1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT . If you
want to do a quick rebuild and redeploy into QPID_HOME, you can do this:

mvn -Pfastinstall
cd distribution
mvn -Dqpid.targetDir=$QPID_HOME/.. assembly:directory

(Note, these are UNIX command lines. For Windows, change to a
backslash in the last line.)

The first line is executed at the top level to do a Java build, as
normal. The "-Pfastinstall" tells it to skip tests, basically, by
invoking the fastinstall profile. You then change to the distribution
directory, and tell it you want the assemblies to go to $QPID_HOME/..
so that the actual new directory contents you're looking for will go
under $QPID_HOME. You will also get the usual tar and zip files under
$QPID_HOME/.. as well, but you'll just be ignoring those anyway.

This way, you can set QPID_HOME and PATH once, and overwrite their
contents as you make changes and rebuild.

--steve