qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Meyering <...@meyering.net>
Subject Re: bootstrap problem
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 15:58:11 GMT
Alan Conway <aconway@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 13:35 +0000, Steven Shaw wrote:
>> I'm trying to build from a fresh checkout on RHEL3. Because the
>> default autoconf version is not support (2.57)
>
> Jim, is there any reason not to downgrade our autoconf requirement to
> 2.57? I'd like this to Just Work on an up-to-date RHEL 3 since JMPC are
> on that platform and they're our only C++ users that I know of to date.

Hi Alan and Steven,

The whole idea of using autoconf, automake, and libtool is to
make the final, configured package portable.  The primary goal
is not to make the development environment ultimately portable.
That's just not necessary.

If JPMC are _using_ qpid, then we should try to supply them
with RPMs or tarballs from which to build the required tools.
Those RPMs and tarballs should build on a system with *no* autotools
installed at all.

If someone is doing active development, then they should be able
to install the latest versions of the required tools.  I'll be happy
to walk people through it, if some *developer* is having trouble.
Non developers should not need the development tools.

Investing effort in making older versions of autoconf/automake/libtool
work with a newly-autoconfiscated project is counterproductive.
Let's not go there.

> Steve, I did this with the initial patch from 2.60->2.59 can you try it
> with RHEL 3 versions? I changed the AC_PREREQ(2.59) in configure.ac, and
> a couple other things - if you run with the default RHEL 3 tools the
> error messages will tell you what needs changing. If we're lucky it'll
> just work with lower versions. If not, post the errors and we'll try to
> make it work unless there's some showstopper. That would be better than
> requiring a bunch of special versions of the tools to be installed every
> time someone wants to build Qpid.

The goal is to let people build from a distribution tarball or RPM.
Then this won't be an issue.