qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Meyering <...@meyering.net>
Subject Re: Automake build system up and running :)
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 12:45:59 GMT
"Steven Shaw" <steshaw@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to generate a ./configure script. Here's what happens with aclocal:
> i.e. autoconf 2.60 and 2.59 don't seem to work. They don't have
> AC_PROG_LIBTOOL defined.
>
> So there seems to be a problem with libtool. Do I need a particular
> version installed to make autoconf happy?

The problem is that your aclocal installation isn't finding libtool.m4.
That may happen if you install/run your own version of autoconf (which
contains aclocal).  When aclocal runs properly, it puts a copy of
the AC_PROG_LIBTOOL macro in the aclocal.m4 that it creates.

If my guess is right, and in addition, you have a new enough
distro-supplied version of autoconf installed, then running
bootstrap like this might get you past the hump:

  env PATH=/bin:/usr/bin ./bootstrap

That runs only the system-supplied versions of the tools.
Alternatively, you could copy libtool's libtool.m4 file into
a directory where your autoconf tools (aclocal) will find it,
e.g., cp libtool.m4 $prefix/share/aclocal/
where $prefix is whatever you used when configuring autoconf.
If you used no prefix, then use prefix=/usr/local.

Jim