qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Meyering <...@meyering.net>
Subject Re: one more version of qpid-autotools-install
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 14:34:27 GMT
Kim van der Riet <kim.vdriet@redhat.com> wrote:
> Works perfectly - thanks Jim!

Thanks for letting me (and others!) know.

> On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 23:05 +0100, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> I've addressed the remaining FIXME comments.
>> Now, if the two envvars it cares about are already set properly,
>> this script will print the following:

>>   building/installing libtool-1.5.22.tar.gz...
>>   done at 2006-12-14.23:00:32
>>   Good! your PKG_CONFIG_PATH envvar is already set
>>   Good! your PATH is fine
>>
>> Otherwise, it tells you how to set them.

> My path is $HOME/bin:$HOME/qpid-tools/bin:$PATH, but I still got the
> PATH message - (a minor nit).

Yes, it skips the PATH suggestion only when "$prefix/bin" is
at the front of your $PATH.  It can't know whether you have
installed autoconf, automake, etc. in your $HOME/bin.
Well, it _could_ figure it out, but it's not worth the trouble
just to skip a friendly suggestion :-)

>> Another change: now, it puts everything in a directory named
>> .build-auto-tools, in the current working directory.
>> That makes it easier to clean up once you're done.
>> Before, you'd end up with two files and a directory for
>> each package.
>
> Perhaps a parting message to the unsuspecting that if they want to clean
> up, that they can delete the hidden directory .build-auto-tools?

Sure.