qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Meyering <...@meyering.net>
Subject Re: bootstrap problem
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 16:10:12 GMT
Alan Conway <aconway@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 15:00 +0000, Steven Shaw wrote:
>> Oh. I backed the AC_PREREQ to 2.57 and automake requirement to 1.6.3
>> in Makefile.am. From bootstrap I get:
>
> Maybe Jim can help here.
>
>> Thanks for the hand. It's be a few years since I did any serious C/C++
>> development and I didn't have the pleasure of meeting the autotools -
>> not from the dev side anyhow.
>
> I'm new to them also - been living in proprietary software land till
> recently. Thanks for your perseverance, I really want to get this all to
> the point where it Just Works on any reasonably recent linux distro that
> Qpid users are likely to be on.

IMHO, the "it" that should `Just Work' is be the distribution tarball
or the per-distro RPM.

Anyone who is working as a developer can be expected to run

  ./configure --prefix=/somewhere && make && make install

(once for each of the three tools in question), and then adjust
their PATH to include /somewhere/bin at the front.