qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Meyering <...@meyering.net>
Subject Re: bootstrap problem
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 16:06:11 GMT
"Steven Shaw" <steshaw@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to build from a fresh checkout on RHEL3. Because the
> default autoconf version is not support (2.57), I've installed the
> following:
>
>  autoconf-2.61
>  automake-1.9.6
>  libtool-1.5.22
>  m4-1.4.8
>
> I've locally added the "set -x" to bootstrap to make it clearer where
> the problems are coming from. I'm having a similar problem to what I
> was getting at home:
>
> ---begin---
> + automake
> lib/broker/Makefile.am:9: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
> ---end---
>
> Note that this version of automake does include the libtool.am file
>
>   ~/local/automake-1.9.6/share/automake-1.9/am/libtool.am
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

This is the same aclocal problem you saw before.
perhaps your path is not set right (so you're running
some other version of aclocal), or maybe the libtool.am file
is installed in the wrong place.

The bottom line is that when aclocal runs, the AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
macro is not being put into aclocal.m4.

Try running aclocal in verbose mode:
Here's what I get:

  /usr/bin/aclocal --verbose -I m4 2>&1 | grep AC_PROG_LIBTOOL|head -n2
  aclocal: found macro AC_PROG_LIBTOOL in /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4: 25
  aclocal: found macro _AC_PROG_LIBTOOL in /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4: 60

BTW, if you're installing your own version of automake,
why don't you use automake-1.10?