qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Ritchie" <ritch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Qpid Java Build Instructions - Trunk (M2+)
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 12:46:18 GMT
On 04/12/06, Steve Vinoski <vinoski@iona.com> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Gordon Sim wrote:
>
> > Steve Vinoski wrote:

> >> Thanks Dan. Looks like there's a bug in assembly 2.1 that keeps
> >> this from working [1]. It appears fixed with assembly 2.2-
> >> SNAPSHOT, but using that version causes warnings elsewhere, which
> >> I think I can fix. The result does produce a working copy under
> >> distribution/target/qpid-1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT-java-bin.dir/
> >> qpid-1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT, and if you set QPID_HOME to that
> >> and add $QPID_HOME/bin to your PATH, then qpid-server works fine.
> >> Gordon, Robert, everyone: shall we go with this approach then?
> >
> > It's better than nothing certainly!
> >
> > If the path wasn't so awkward and if you could create that layout
> > from the base java directory (rather than from the distribution
> > directory) it would be ideal. How easy is it to work around these
> > sorts of things in maven?
>
> OK, you can now build a directory version of the java-bin assembly,
> and specify the output directory as well. Let's say you have
> QPID_HOME set to /tmp/qpid/qpid-1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT . If you
> want to do a quick rebuild and redeploy into QPID_HOME, you can do this:
>
> mvn -Pfastinstall
> cd distribution
> mvn -Dqpid.targetDir=$QPID_HOME/.. assembly:directory
>
> (Note, these are UNIX command lines. For Windows, change to a
> backslash in the last line.)
>
> The first line is executed at the top level to do a Java build, as
> normal. The "-Pfastinstall" tells it to skip tests, basically, by
> invoking the fastinstall profile. You then change to the distribution
> directory, and tell it you want the assemblies to go to $QPID_HOME/..
> so that the actual new directory contents you're looking for will go
> under $QPID_HOME. You will also get the usual tar and zip files under
> $QPID_HOME/.. as well, but you'll just be ignoring those anyway.
>
> This way, you can set QPID_HOME and PATH once, and overwrite their
> contents as you make changes and rebuild.
>
> --steve

This doesn't seem to work quite right for me. All the zip/tgz still get built.
I did:
mvn -Pfastinstall
(Wish we could avoid this step and get the dist pom to reference the
local checkout.. and re-compile only if required)

cd distribution
 mvn -Dqpid.targetDir=c:/tmp/qpid/ assembly:directory

Am I doing something wrong that is casuing the zips and tars to be
created each time?

Is it possible to stop all the warning messges related to long paths in the zip?

Cheers
--
Martin Ritchie