qpid-dev mailing list archives

From lichtner <licht...@bway.net>
Subject Re: clustering
Date Fri, 22 Dec 2006 01:56:49 GMT

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> there is both a server in Java and C++.

While we are on the topic, why two server implementations?

> If you go to the wiki, cwiki.apache.org/qpid under clustering there is
> quite a bit up there on what we are working on in this regard. C++ is
> being put together to use OpenAIS (also totem) and Java there are more
> options for non AMQP cluster comms.

Yes, I saw the wiki. But it seems to mention that the design is not
finished - correct me if I am wrong.

> How mature is EVS4J on CKPT, EVT, EVS, CLM, CPG,CMAN, DLM ?

It's just an in-process implementation of the totem protocol, so it does
not have checkpointing, special event messages, or lock management. That
is not part of totem.

> Or how do you rate it to something like JGroups?

EVS4J only implements totem (membership and reliable multicast with total
ordering and flow control) - not other protocols. And you do not have to
assemble separate protocols (which means there is nothing to figure out.)
And the code is small and easy to review for correctness. And it's fast.
The api is very, very simple.