qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: XML longstr mapping
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 22:22:14 GMT
On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 19:14 +0000, Robert Greig wrote:
> On 20/12/06, Kim van der Riet <kim.vdriet@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Ok, will do - byte[] it is.
> >
> > Perhaps we should change the term "longstr" in the spec to "binary" or
> > something similar. It would be less confusing.
>
> I fully agree. I tried arguing this point in the past without any
> success. I think the argument was "C programmers think of strings as
> byte arrays"...

+1, longstr is misleading and it is entirely unfair to blame C
programmers! The type in question is a length-prefixed byte array. There
are no guarantees in the spec about being able to treat it as any type
of string.

I did a quick search and couldn't find a formal definition for longstr
in the spec - I must be blind, where is it?

Cheers,
Alan.