qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject RE: XML longstr mapping
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2007 17:32:02 GMT
On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 17:42 -0500, Tomas Restrepo wrote:
> I'm guessing it's Section 4.2.5.3 "Strings". I also agree the term longstr
> is misleading, but the spec does talk about "short and long strings".
>
> Actually, the spec is far more misleading, because it explicitly says that
> "short strings" are UTF-8 encoded (i.e. text), while saying that "Long
> Strings" are just a length-prefixed array of octets with no requirements at
> all about the content (so they can carry arbitrary binary data, I guess).

I think the intent and the actual implementations are that:
 - shortstr is a short (<256) UTF8 string.
 - longstr is a binary blob.

There is no other string type (e.g. UTF16) although clearly you can
store anything in a longstr, including strings encoded any way you like.

So I think we need to:
 - rename longstr as "binary"
 - change all spec wording (including section 4.2.5.3) so that the
binary type is not referred to as a "string"

Cheers,
Alan.