qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: clustering
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 14:23:57 GMT
On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 12:57 +0000, John O'Hara wrote:
> There's a whole lot of conversation here.
>
> Above all else, we need to know what we're trying to achieve.
> The current Qpid/J can achieve 200,000 transient 256 byte messages per
> second on a 4-way machine over Gb ethernet.
> For persistent messages, you will always be constrained by the performance
> of the machine.
>
> There are 3 broad families of connecting brokers:
> 1) Highly stateful - failover pairs (keep it simple)
> 2) Transient fanout scaling - lots of brokers sharing the load of
> propagating messages to subscribers.  A bit like how routers do multicast.
> But then, could we not build AMQP into the routers.....
> 3) Forwarding between independent systems - the notion of remote queues, or
> going through firewalls.
>
> Then there is how long do we hold onto messages for, etc.
>
> I would love to see people draw up and document the scenarios which their
> proposals work in.  There are a lot of email conversations where the people
> involve are all coming from different assumptions.  We need to get to a
> common frame.

I will be looking at Qpid clustering in the near future and I would
dearly love to see some concrete use cases that are independent of any
design proposal. I'd like to start a qpid wiki page to gather links to
existing use case info and wiki pages for use cases we draw up ourselves
- anyone have material to contribute?

There are some initial design ideas for the next phase of qpid
clustering at
http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/clustering-design-notes-2.html
They're very unripe so comments are welcome, but more welcome would be
use cases that are not dependent on assumptions about the solution.

Cheers,
Alan.