qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [CONF] Apache Qpid: BindingURLFormat (page edited)
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:09:40 GMT
On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 06:33 -0800, confluence@apache.org wrote:
> Page Edited : qpid : BindingURLFormat BindingURLFormat has been edited
> by Martin Ritchie (Jan 08, 2007).
>
> (View changes)
>
> Content:

snip

> Examples
> direct://amq.direct/SimpleQueue
> direct://amq.direct/UnusuallyBoundQueue?routingkey='queue'
> topic://amq.topic?routingkey='stocks.#'
> topic://amq.topic?routingkey='stocks.nyse.ibm'

Using exchange types as the protocol prefix of a URL is a bad  idea, you
would never be able to standardize it with IANA or whoever monitors
these things. The set of exchange types is open to change in the future
but URL protocol prefixes must be unique forever.

Also this format abuses the prefix://host/path convention for internet
protocols.

I'd suggest something like:

Long term we'll want vendor neutral standard AMQP URLs like:
 amqp:...
But it would be a mistake to try to grab the amqp: prefix right away.
That would make transition to standard AMQP URL's *more* difficult in
the future because we'd have no easy way to distinguish between an AMQP
standard URL and an old qpid-proprietary URL for backwards
compatibility.

Cheers,
Alan.