qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: State of C++ 0-9 branch
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 13:55:22 GMT
Looking for a chance to contribute to Qpid C++? Read on...

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 11:41 +0000, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> What I don't currently understand is why this is only crashing the
> client, not the broker as well (it's in the framing code).
>  I assume the
> sequence is something like client does 0.9 open connection negotiation
> (which doesn't use actual protocaol frames). Broker replies with 0.9
> frame and then the client dies as it makes a 8.0 frame as above. Ah I
> seem to have answered my own question!

Also the framing code is just throwing an exception the test client
cores because it doesn't catch it. The broker catches exceptions but we
don't have adequate exception logging yet so something similar may be
happening broker-side but going unnoticed.

> More general Q: Do we have a wire level protocol decoder? I.E something
> to plugin into tcpdump or similar? It would be quite handy to debug more
> complex versions of problems like this. If not I guess I'll add it to
> Jira.
Excellent idea, JIRA it. The broker has a trace mode (qpidd -t) which
gives some help but only broker-side. An independent decoder would be
much more flexible.

I've got JIRAs in already for tracing/logging QPID-154, the decoede JIRA
should reference it. The decoders logging should just be a subset of the
broker logging.

I think the debugging issues are becoming more and more important for
our own sanity, we should prioritize them ASAP.

Cheers,
Alan.