qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Managing merges
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2007 14:03:33 GMT
On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 14:01 +0100, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Steve Vinoski <vinoski@iona.com> wrote:
> > Such a conversion to git isn't really practical, given that qpid sits
> > within a much larger svn repository consisting of many projects.
>
> Note that I wasn't proposing the removal of the SVN repository.  It is
> possible (at least theoretically -- not sure the SVN-based git tools are
> as functional/reliable as the CVS ones, e.g., for branches) to commit to
> a git repository and have those changes mirrored automatically to the
> existing svn one.  That's what I do with git+cvs on savannah.
> A less ambitious move that should still provide better built-in
> merging tools, would be to use SVK.  That has the advantage that
> the underlying repository is SVN-based.  But I haven't been
> following it's development, so don't know how feasible a switch
> would be.

Well as far as I understand this would be quite feasible as the basic
mode of use of SVK is to mirror an existing svn repository anyway. So
essentially you mirror the qpid repository into a branch, then copy this
into a private branch to do your work; then you merge back into the
mirrored branch and that automatically pushes your changes upstream.

Andrew