qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: FYI, bdbstore: Instrument all tests so that they are run via valgrind
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:55:48 GMT
On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 11:29 -0500, Alan Conway wrote:

> Waiting for startup is a classic problem, we need a good general
> solution. How about
> qpidd --waitforbroker <timeout>
>   Attempt to contact the broker for up to <timeout> seconds. Exit status
> 0 if the broker was contacted, 1 if the timeout expired.

A better solution: have qpidd --daemon itself wait until it has started
successfully! We could create a shared semaphore or somesuch before we
fork the daemon, and have the daemon process signal when it has
successfully called accept(). That way you can always safely start a
client immediately after starting qpidd --daemon.

Any snags with that?

Cheers,
Alan.