qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Kim van der Riet <kim.vdr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: AMQP 0-9 support
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:05:00 GMT
On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 14:43 +0000, Martin Ritchie wrote:
> On 17/01/07, Kim van der Riet <kim.vdriet@redhat.com> wrote:
> > IIRC, there are some difficulties in supporting both at the same time -
> > issues that the protocol does not resolve. For example, framing: When a
> > ProtocolInitiation is received by the broker, how does it know whether
> > to use the new request/response framing or old MethodBody frame to send
> > the Connection.Start method?
>
> I thought the ProtocolInitialisation was used to negotiate the version
> for the connection so it would know what versions it supported. If it
> supported both it would return the correct frame MethodBody or
> Connection.Start if it didn't support the version presented it would
> just close the Connection.

But if we successfully negotiate a 0-9 connection on a broker which
supports both the new (Request/Response) AND the old (MethodBody)
framing - so as to be 0-9 and 0-9-WIP compliant, which would be used to
start the connection? It seems to me that there is no way for the client
to inform the broker up front.

Kim