qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: AMQP 0-9 support
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:28:15 GMT
On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 15:18 +0000, Gordon Sim wrote:
> > But if we successfully negotiate a 0-9 connection on a broker which
> > supports both the new (Request/Response) AND the old (MethodBody)
> > framing - so as to be 0-9 and 0-9-WIP compliant, which would be used to
> > start the connection? It seems to me that there is no way for the client
> > to inform the broker up front.
>
> Wasn't the 99 major number reserved for WIP type work? Can we claim the
> 99-1 id for the WIP sections of 0-9?

The situation with C++ is not too bad. We won't support 0-8 in the first
cut but we haven't ditched any of the basic stuff or the old framing,
it's just disconnected. I think it might be fairly straightforward to
reconnect it conditionally.

So I'd say the C++ position is: we are first aiming to get 0-9 working
without 0-8. We wont slow ourselves down worrying about 0-8 but we wont
needlessly throw 0-8 stuff away either.Once 0-9 works we can look at
re-enabling 0-8 conditionally, and it might not be as hard as I
originally thought.

We might get a multi-version broker out of this yet- but it's not top
priority.

Cheers,
Alan.