qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: APR dependency for C++ broker
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:03:49 GMT
(CCd qpid-dev for more feedback)

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 13:39 -0500, Nuno Santos wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> while talking to Carl about how the trunk of APR already supports SSL
> (though the stable version we're using does not), he mentioned that
> we're trying to move away from APR and that you've been working on
> that... my original thoughts were that since we depended on APR already,
> that it might make sense to wait for the SSL-enabled release (depending
> on the release timeframe, obviously), but if we're ditching APR then
> I'll have to look elsewhere... any comments/suggestions on that?

It's high time we had a discussion about this.

APR is a nasty C wrapper that imposes function call overhead and uses
none of the features of C++ to make the API more type-safe, efficient or
usable. I'd like to find a decent C++ library for the job if there is
one.

http://asio.sourceforge.net/ looks promising - it's been accepted into
boost (which qpid uses a lot) and proposed for the next C++ standard.

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE-overview.html has been around for a
long time and has a good reputation for speed in the CORBA world.

Does anyone have any comments on these or other general IO wrappers that
might be interesting for Qpid?

Even if we adopt a different/no wrapper for the qpid core, we can still
use APR for SSL but I'd like to take a bit of time to investigate
alternatives. Nuno would you be able to do a bit of reading while I get
AMQP 0-9 out of my hair?

Cheers,
Alan.