qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Message history and replay
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:34:29 GMT
On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 17:53 +0000, Gordon Sim wrote:
> Alan Conway wrote:
> > That raises an interesting question: should AMQP support (custom) Queue
> > types?
>
> There is an 'arguments' field of type table that could be used to
> indicate queue type (or desired characteristics) albeit in a
> non-standard way.

That is true. However the question remains - is it better to provide a
single Queue class that does everything (including replay) or a
selection of Queue classes with different features? I'm not sure of the
right answer. I am leaning towards the swiss-army-queue because AMQP
does not provide any way to compose features, so separate Queues would
suffer from the "but I want it to do X AND Y" problem and because I'm
guessing the list of things that anyone would want to a queue to do is
bounded and fairly small - but I'm not sure of that last point either
yet.

Cheers,
Alan.