qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: AMQP 0-9 support
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:45:22 GMT
Robert Godfrey wrote:
> I think we would be quite nervous about removing all support for the old
> classes.  I guess I was misunderstanding exactly what was being
> attempted in
> the 0-9 support branch.  I thought we would be aiming for supporting the
> 0-9
> spec as publicly released, not just the WIP parts.  Certainly we could not
> deploy anything in this state.

Why not? The WIP portion of the spec is essentially a refactoring of
basic, stream, and file + additional framing level changes to support
HA. The broker should be able to be fully as functional as it is now
(more functional hopefully) without using basic.

> For those of us supporting QPID implementations in production, I think we
> should aim to support the published version of the specification.
> Otherwise
> we should wait until the specification deprecates the old framing and
> Request/Response ceases to be WIP (0-10?).

We could do that, but that would be more work with no benefit other than
to be able to say we officially conform to the spec, which I don't think
we can say in any meaningful way at this point anyways.

Also, Qpid is supposed to be the proof of concept implementation that
allows the 0-9 WIP stuff to become the 0-10 version of the spec, and so
one of the things we need to demonstrate is that we won't actually be
losing functionality by removing basic, stream, and file, and the
easiest way to do that is to actually remove them.

--Rafael