qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Meyering <...@meyering.net>
Subject Re: [c++ trunk] Python test failures.
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:48:24 GMT
Gordon Sim <gsim@redhat.com> wrote:
> Jim Meyering wrote:
>>     ======================================================================
>>     ERROR: test_purge (tests.queue.QueueTests)
>>     ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>>       File "/home_old/e/work/rh/rhn/messaging-clean/trunk/qpid-help2man/python/tests/queue.py",
line 78, in test_purge
>>         channel.channel_open()
>>       File "<string>", line 3, in channel_open
>>       File "/home_old/e/work/rh/rhn/messaging-clean/trunk/qpid/python/qpid/peer.py",
line 180, in invoke
>>         raise Closed(self.reason)
>>     Closed
>
> That looks like the test is out of date. [Previously it had a bug in it,
> pointed out by Rob Godfrey, such that the cleanup happened on the
> connection that had just received a connection exception. This worked
> before due to a bug in the c++ broker that didn't actually close the
> connection in that event.]
>
> Let me know if you are seeing it even with up-to-date python client and
> tests.

[I see you've just sent a patch.  Will try it soon. ]

Another difference: I compiled with no optimization: CXXFLAGS=-g
That'll certainly skew some timings.

I've just run "make check CXXFLAGS=-g TESTS=run-python-tests" a few times,
and each time I get a different set of failures:

run 1:
  testDifferentDeclaredType (tests.exchange.MiscellaneousErrorsTests) ... ERROR
  testTypeNotKnown (tests.exchange.MiscellaneousErrorsTests) ... ERROR
  test_closed_channel (tests.broker.BrokerTests) ... ERROR
  test_invalid_channel (tests.broker.BrokerTests) ... ERROR
  test_consume_queue_errors (tests.basic.BasicTests) ... ERROR
  test_consume_unique_consumers (tests.basic.BasicTests) ... ERROR

run 2:
  testDifferentDeclaredType (tests.exchange.MiscellaneousErrorsTests) ... ERROR
  testTypeNotKnown (tests.exchange.MiscellaneousErrorsTests) ... ERROR
  test_invalid_channel (tests.broker.BrokerTests) ... ERROR
  test_consume_queue_errors (tests.basic.BasicTests) ... ERROR

run 3:
  testDifferentDeclaredType (tests.exchange.MiscellaneousErrorsTests) ... ERROR
  testTypeNotKnown (tests.exchange.MiscellaneousErrorsTests) ... ERROR
  test_closed_channel (tests.broker.BrokerTests) ... ERROR
  test_invalid_channel (tests.broker.BrokerTests) ... ERROR

Yet, when I start the broker manually,

    src/qpidd > log 2>&1 &

and run the failing tests one by one, there is no failure:

    for i in tx testlib exchange example queue broker basic; do
      ./run-tests -d -v tests.$i
    done

Also, when I ran "./run-tests -d -v" manually, while doing a parallel (-j3)
build in another window, all tests passed.

Hmm... just ran the "make check ..." command again.  No failures this time.
Then I killed and restarted qpidd, and ran the same "make check ..." again
on an otherwise idle system and get ... _no failures_, darn it.
Non-deterministic bugs can be a real pain.

Then I ran it two more times (still on the same idle system) and each
time I got the four errors again, just like run #3.