qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: SASL - Sun Community Source Licence for JSR28
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:19:10 GMT
On Wednesday 07 February 2007 10:26, Rupert Smith wrote:
> I've noticed that recently a lot of Sun API jars have become available on
> the Maven repository (Look under http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/javax/).
> This includes the JMS 1.1 API, for which we are currently using the one
> found under org.apache.geronimo.specs.

Actually, the jar isn't there.   Just a pom that if you use it, it says
download it from.....

> Sun jars under maven have always
> been a bit of a problem because for licencing reasons they couldn't be
> included in the repository. Now it seems that many of them are, presumably
> because of Java itself becoming open sourced?

I'd like to clear this up a bit....

Many of the older Sun jars are appearing in the maven repository because Sun
itself is having them put there.   (Actually, they've setup their own maven
repository as well:https://maven-repository.dev.java.net/repository/)  The
license on them still doesn't change.   The license would prevent anyone
other than Sun from putting them there, but since Sun put it there, that's
OK.

For the newer CDDL based code, those can be submitted by anyone so those are
appearing as well.

The issue is the older non-cddl based jars (most are BCL) (JMS jar falls into
this category).   Those need to be submitted by Sun.   However, BCL code
cannot be shipped with an Apache project anyway.   Thus, if they're uploaded
to maven or not doesn't change the fact that qpid cannot ship it.

> If it is acceptable, I'd like to submit a request to get this JSR28 jar
> added to the maven repository too, and to use it.

IANAL, but getting it submitted to the maven repository should be fine (I
think).    You would still need legal/Cliff to make sure it's ok to ship with
the distributions.   It's not on the list of accepted licenses:

http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html#criteriaandcategories

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer