qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Draft Interop Testing Spec - Please Read
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:27:38 GMT
Rupert Smith wrote:
> I'm particuarly interested in getting some constructive feedback on
> this. If you disagree with something, please also suggest an
> alternative way of doing it, that you feel will be better, more
> reliable, easier to implement, or whatever. Thanks.

I think the approach is great. One thought that occurred is that by
offloading more work to the controller/master we minimise the amount of
framework code we need to write for each test in each language. The
controller would only need to be written in one language.

I like the idea of having a single client executable for each language
also, that can run a named test under a particular role. That makes it
easy to start up a given number of instances of different client
implementations without having to remember too many script options etc.
The controller can handle the test to run and the role each client
should take on.

I'd suggest we use an unspecified virtual host. Assuming we will be
using a dedicated broker instance for the tests we won't need the
isolation virtual hosts provide and just using the default make setup
easier in my view.

Attached are some notes that offer an alternative system. I find it
simpler and yet quite flexible, but as is often the case that might just
be because it fits more with my preconceptions. Its not as tightly
specified as your document but if you like the direction we can work on
the details a bit more. If you don't like the direction I won't be
offended, so please feel free to ignore it!