qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Draft Interop Testing Spec - Please Read
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:28:22 GMT
John O'Hara wrote:
> Excellent.
>
> We don't have a common API (yet) so this could be tricky.
>
> One way might be to write a command processor in each language to process
> "psuedo-code" and call the right API functions in that language.
> This way we could have a core set of test defintions for any language
> -- all
> you'd have to do for the new language is write the parser-to-api mapping.

In principle I like this idea. In practice I suspect it will suck up
time like a sponge leaving little or none to write actual tests. I
suggest we focus first on building a small but useful suite of tests
described in human text and implement them across the board. Having done
that we will probably have more insight into the best way to
automate/formalize the framework. I'd prefer to get a working suite of
tests then refine the framework and tests than spend months on  a
framework and still have no interop testing.

Cheers,
Alan.