qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SASL - Sun Community Source Licence for JSR28
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 18:04:40 GMT
On 2/8/07, Daniel Kulp <daniel.kulp@iona.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 08 February 2007 05:07, Rupert Smith wrote:
> > So what to do? Shall I just write a copy of the API from scratch and put it
> > under javax.security.sasl in much the same way that geronimo have with the
> > JMS API?
>
> You can go this route, but only if you plan on getting the TCK for JSR28 and
> making it pass.   The javax.* stuff needs to pass the TCK before it's
> releasable.   Geronimo goes through a lot of work to validate everything in
> geronimo specs before they are released.

That is only true if the only available license to get what you need
requires you to pass the TCK.  However, I recommend that you ask Geir
Magnusson (ASF VP for JCP issues, who can be found on the
jcp@apache.org list) what he recommends.  I have strong opinions about
Sun's use of copyright law to protect simple interfaces and the
misperception that one is bound to some TCK provision that no one has
agreed to, but for consistency and diplomacy reasons, I think the
handling of this should go through Geir.

I will say that, if you just need to use the API to allow
*compatibility with an existing implementation*, as opposed to
*substitution for an implementation*, there really should be no
concerns about copying an interface for that purpose.

Cliff