qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: C++ directory re-organization
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 15:36:17 GMT
On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 16:19 +0000, Rupert Smith wrote:
> I notice that you plan to rename files after classes? If you are doing
> a big rename, it might also be advantageous to try and rename towards
> having a consistent client API whilst you are at it.

Not at this point - I'm just restoring the original simple
dir=namespace/file=class.cpp correspondance that got a bit mangled by
the autobuild changes.

> There are
> presently some pointless inconsistencies in naming accross the
> clients. For example:
>
> java: AMQSession
> .net:  AmqChannel
> cpp: ClientChannel

Can  you please add your thoughts to QPID-342, which is about
refactoring of the C++ client API for binary compatibility. That would
be the time to make the changes you propose.

Actually this probably merits a separate JIRA. Right now there's no
basis for me to do a renaming because there's no consensus on the
correct names. Also seems like we need broder agreement on API than just
class names if you want a meaningful cross-language API.

Like Gordon I am  not in favour of prefixes on identifiers when
namespaces are a better choice. I'm also not keen on calling a Channel a
Session - the word Session is nowhere used in AMQP 0-8, and it almost
certainly will be used in 0-10 with a very different meaning. I think
any agreed cross-language API must be based strictly on terms from the
AMQP protocol.

Anyhow if you want to start a JIRA for this, please link it to QPID-342
so I wont forget.

Cheers,
Alan.