qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Draft Interop Testing Spec - Please Read
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:30:59 GMT
On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 10:21 +0000, Rupert Smith wrote:
> As for gathering reports, I was thinking that each test (sender part)
> would report pass/fail (message body containing reason for failure in
> failure cases) to the coordinator, of which there is only one, and it
> will write out the xml reports. Reason for that being that the code to
> write the reports only needs to be written/maintained in one place.
Well everybody needs to write their own XML fragments, the coordinator
is just gluing them together into a report. Not hard though JUnit &
CppUnit both have XML outputters already. I do see the advantages of
having a central point collate all the results. Ideally the tests should
be plain JUnit/CppUnit and all the extra wiring to send results should
be in special test runners.

> Was also thinking of adding the requirement that each test client talk
> to the coordinator over a seperate AMQ connection to that which is
> sends its test messages over. The idea being, that if a test failure
> causes closure of the connection, it should still manage to send its
> report. A more serious melt-down that causes the test client to
> completely fail, should still result in the test report being written
> out as a fail, because the coordinator knows which tests/clients it
> started -> which ones did not produce a report -> which ones to write
> out a failure for. So no covered tracks. In this case, look in the log
> for the dead test client to figure out what happened. Does this sound
> ok?

Yup, give it a go. If necessary we can have tests also log to a local
file or console as a back-up in the event of a crash preventing the
result message from being sent.

> Producing updated working interop spec, with a view to putting it on
> the wiki later today.

Looking forward to it!