qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Release Plan for post M2
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 21:50:25 GMT
On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 12:14 -0500, Rajith Attapattu wrote:
> > I suggest we don't get to caught up in the nomeclature of our
> > releases. Moving to a numbering scheme similar to AMQP is perhaps a
> > reasonable approach. We started using Mx as that is the Incubator way.

+1 on not getting caught up.

For RPM numbering so I simply translated M1 to 0.1 so we currently have
qpidc-0.1-4.src.rpm. This works if we want to continue Mn milestones for
a while.

Beyond that I would strongly advocate a simple dot-separated-integer
increment-by-one scheme. RPM uses <version>.<release>, GNU uses
unbounded numbers of versions and releases and has been tried and tested
over years of development on thousands of projects.

If we really must start higher than 0.1 then so be it, but 0.90 implies
we've done 90 releases which is a bit silly. We could start at 0.9,
making the next release 0.10. Note the "." in version numbers **is not a
decimal point**.  0.01 and 0.1 are the same version and 0.10 is higher
than 0.9.

I will say no more on the topic unless people start advocating some
lunatic scheme that would defeat RPMs version comparison algorithm.

Cheers,
Alan.