qpid-dev mailing list archives

From David Lutterkort <dlut...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Release Plan for post M2
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 21:52:30 GMT
On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 14:50 -0500, Alan Conway wrote:
> For RPM purposes we need to use the simple numeric version.release up
> front so rpm can figure out the ordering, but I think we can safely add
> a decorator to meet the apache requirement (RPM experts can  you
> confirm? I checked the rpm source code and it appears that RPM will stop
> at the first differing segment so e.g. 0.2-incubatingM2 is older than 0.3)
>
> So the RPM versions would be:
>  0.1-incubating-M1
>  0.2-incubating-M2 (or 0.9-incubating-M2 or 0.9-incubating-M9 at our whim)
> etc. till we leave incubator and go to 1.0 etc.
>
> It would be simplest to have a straightforward correspondence between
> 0.x and Mx but they don't have to be related provided they both increase
> monotonically on every release.

I can't say much about Apache's versioning requirements; the Fedora
guidelines [1] have some info on the subject.

If you install 'rpmdevtools', you can use fedora-rpmvercmp to test how
various versions will get ordered. In general, things are a little
simpler if the version/release are made up of numbers and '.' only,
though there are cases where the version/release have additional 'stuff'
embedded in them.

David

[1]
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#head-18aa467fc6925455e44be682fd336667a17e8933