qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Greig" <robert.j.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Qpid M2 Branching / C++ 0.9 Merging
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 23:17:21 GMT
On 07/03/07, Andrew Stitcher <astitcher@redhat.com> wrote:

> In theory this seems correct - that is we shouldn't hold up the C++
> reorg for the 0-9 merge. But the main reason we haven't done it yet is
> that svn tracks renames (and moving stuff around) extremely poorly and,
> this to my understanding, could make the merge extremely painful if done
> afterwards.

Yes I agree that Subversion has many key limitations in this area.

> Does anyone actually have experience with doing the wholesale renaming
> and moving Alan is talking about on a svn branch.

I found when doing the persistence work that the merges were very
painful. I only managed it without breaking things badly because I was
very involved with both trunk and the persistence branch.

I couldn't actually use any of the svn merge tools for the merge
because of the moves and renames so I ended up doing most of it
manually. winmerge is very useful!

> If not for this reasoning there is a lot of clean up work that we would
> already have done on the branch.

I think it is unfortunate that our scm tool is limiting us. I would
fully support a move away from Subversion - a tool that has not IMHO
lived up to the hype around it.

RG