qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Naming etc (was Re: C++ directory re-organization)
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:15:16 GMT
Robert Godfrey wrote:
> Indeed... But java code littered with disambiguating
> org.apache.qpid.amqp.Session and javax.jms.Session sure does look ugly :-)
> ... now if only you could do aliasing you could call one AMQPSession and
> one
> JMSSession ;-)

I agree, it would be nice to be able to define alias type names or
'import as' or something in java. That's one reason that identical
naming across several languages may be hard to agree on - each language
brings a slightly different set of conventions and constraints into play.

Getting more consistent doesn't have to mean being identical in every
respect though. Perhaps the place to start is at the structural level;
deciding whether we want a low level AMQP API for each language,
mirroring the protocol structure in effect and therefore more likely to
be easily understood across different clients. I would certainly like to
make the c++ and python clients more consistent, but haven't thought it
all through yet.