qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: C++ 0-9 merge heads up
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 15:43:25 GMT
Martin Ritchie wrote:
 > I didn't think that change 'extra' spec change would affect the C++ as
 > it is only required if nowait is false.

Almost all changes to a spec file will affect any implementation that
uses that spec file. Even adding an unused parameter to a method has an
effect - for c++, any client or broker built against that will require
that parameter to be specified or else a decoding error will occur.
Whether it breaks anything (beyond interoperability) is a separate
question.

As nowait is false by default, any piece of code not explicitly updated
to set the new parameter to true will require a response. The python
client waits for responses if they are to be sent, resulting in the test
hanging if the broker doesn't respond as expected.

I'm not jumping on this case only, and I know this has been discussed
before, but I think we must be very careful about modifications of the
spec file.

For one thing I'm not sure how that works with the copyright on the top
of those files; are we allowed to make changes to this file? do we need
to make those changes clear in some way?

Another issue is that when we come to creating releases our
implementation is non-compliant. This is different (and worse in my
opinion) than merely not implementing everything or adding extra
functionality. Again, I'm not sure what the legal position is w.r.t
releasing AMQP 'implementations' with altered methods.