qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Draft Interop Testing Spec - Please Read
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 18:20:00 GMT
Rupert Smith wrote:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Interop+Testing+Specification

Control of tests is still done through direct interaction between
clients. The aim of the centralized approach was to restrict all control
traffic to occur between a test client and the controller, not between
test clients themselves. I think this keeps the test clients simpler
while allowing richer composition of these clients into different scenarios.

e.g. A test sender only needs to send messages to a particular
'destination', then inform the controller what it has done. A test
receiver merely listens for messages, and reports back what it received
when the test completes. Any communication between the test clients is
part of the test, not part of the control.

I'm also not clear why the clients respond to invites by sending
messages to the control topic. That means all clients see all messages
and have to ignore those that are not relevant. I'd prefer to keep the
clients as isolated from each other as possible. Messages for the
controller would be sent directly to the controller and would not be
broadcast to all listeners.

The controller in this view is not a generic test runner that merely
triggers tests; it simplifies the language dependant parts by extracting
as much as possible from them, implementing it once in one place where
it is easier to change or extend.