qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject [VOTE] Versioning proposal.
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 23:39:08 GMT
[ ] Vote to accept the following versioning proposal.

Gee, my first call for a vote :)

I have a proposal that I think satisfies Apache, Fedora (and RPM
generally), the desire to show we're nearing release and the desire to
avoid choosing version numbers at random.

Apache considers M numbers to be pre-release indicators, much like alpha
or beta. So we can say qpid is version 1.0 pre-release M2, meaning we're
approaching the real 1.0 release, and this is the second incubator
pre-release.

the release field providing we give RPM a little help to figure out the
order, so it would be:
  qpid-1.0-0.2.incubating-M2
Which means qpid version 1.0, second incubator pre-release (the extra
0.2 is so RPM doesn't have to parse "incubating-M2")

When we get to the real 1.0 release the RPM becomes:
 qpid-1.0-1

Meaning: qpid 1.0 first real release. RPM will consider this newer than
all the 1.0-0.blah incubator releases.

Cheers,
Alan.