qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: ruby status
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 14:44:04 GMT
Marnie McCormack wrote:
> I'm all for Ruby, and python for that matter, but the remaining gap
> afaik is
> user docs on the wiki.
pydoc will generate web pages automatically from the special doc
comments in python - like javadoc or doxygen, I'm not sure if ruby has a
similar feature. That would be the way to kick start the docs (and IMO
as much doc as possible should be maintained in the code using these
tools.) There is some doc already in the python code.

I run "pydoc -p 8999" at login, which gives me a webserver on port 8999
with all the documentation from python modules on the default python
search. pydoc can also generate web pages we can upload to apache and
link from wiki.

I'm not volunteering, just hoping to inspire someone else :)

[aconway@scooter ~]$ pydoc --help
pydoc - the Python documentation tool

pydoc <name> ...
    Show text documentation on something.  <name> may be the name of a
    Python keyword, topic, function, module, or package, or a dotted
    reference to a class or function within a module or module in a
    package.  If <name> contains a '/', it is used as the path to a
    Python source file to document. If name is 'keywords', 'topics',
    or 'modules', a listing of these things is displayed.

pydoc -k <keyword>
    Search for a keyword in the synopsis lines of all available modules.

pydoc -p <port>
    Start an HTTP server on the given port on the local machine.

pydoc -w <name> ...
    Write out the HTML documentation for a module to a file in the current
    directory.  If <name> contains a '/', it is treated as a filename; if
    it names a directory, documentation is written for all the contents.