qpid-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Martin Ritchie" <ritch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Qpid M2 Branching / C++ 0.9 Merging
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 16:09:44 GMT
On 07/03/07, Alan Conway <aconway@redhat.com> wrote:
> Martin Ritchie wrote:
> > From Marnie
> >> We have quite a bit of work to consider/do prior to release including
> >> interop testing, docs etc. Happy to raise JIRAs (or assist the release
> >> manager) for an M2 set of tasks if we proceed.
> >
> > From Alan
> >> ll be merging the 0-9 C++ branch (Jira QPID-400) soon, speak up if you
> >> ow of any outstanding issues. The plan is to merge python first for
> >> the tests (branch python speaks both old & new protocols) then the C++
> >> codebase.
> >
> > I'm concerned about the timing of these events.
> Simple solution to this: we make the M2 branch now.  The trunk is the
> place for forward development, if a pending release is holding back
> forward development that is the sign that we need a release branch. That
> will allow all the 0-9 work to come back to the trunk with no risk to
> M2. Work that should be on both will have to be merged across, there's
> no way around that but it doesn't make sense to hold up trunk
> development for M2 anymore.

The suggestion wasn't to hold up development for M2 but rather to hold
up M2 release until development has ticked all the boxes we have set
ourselves for M2 release. I understand the desire to get 0.9 on the
trunk and think that should be our main driver just now but we do need
to do a release and that release needs to contain a very stable
release as we will not be doing another release for sometime, if
previous discussions are anything to go by.

> Cheers,
> Alan.

Martin Ritchie

View raw message