qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Ritchie" <ritch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C++ 0-9 merge heads up
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 16:38:37 GMT
On 07/03/07, Alan Conway <aconway@redhat.com> wrote:
> Robert Godfrey wrote:
> > I'm just not sure whether (procedurally) we can make an M2 branch before
> > we've given people enough time to vote for an M2 release...

> Making a branch doesn't commit us to a release, it doesn't even force
> anybody to use the branch. It just means the current state of C++ is
> stored away safely so I can move on trunk while the Java issues are
> resolved.  As long as the Java 0-9 isn't merged it'll be trivial to
> merge any Java trunk work done in the next 5-7 days to the M2 branch as
> there'll be no changes on it.

This statement concerns me. The project is in Apache to make releases
and build a community. If we are simply tagging our repository which
contains a lot of hard effort by a lot of people and moving on with
the next version which also contains a lot of effort by even more
people then we are running a real risk of fracturing the community. If
we, as a community feel it worth while to do a release then we need to
push that goal through or we will not be allowed to graduate from the
incubator.

--
Martin Ritchie