qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Rupert Smith" <rupertlssm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Naming etc (was Re: C++ directory re-organization)
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:02:09 GMT
I think we should be aiming to be identical in every respect in which
it is reasonable to do so. That is to say that, if there is not a very
good reason for the API being different among the clients, then why
make it different? There may need to be occasional differences to
cater for the conventions/type systems/other reasons relating to the
implementing technology. I'd like to see identical package/namespace
names (relative to a root), class names, method names, method
arguments, argument types, even the ordering of the arguments in
method calls, in so far as its possible within the different
languages. If I were looking at Qpid for the first time, this would
speak volumes to me about the unified, well integrated product that
Qpid is. The manual will only need to be written once (with examples
that easily translate). Are there any compelling reasons not to do
this?

Also, if its to be done it should be done as early as possible. Before
there are too many clients coding to the different APIs that will be
very annoyed at having it refactored under their feet.

Rupert