qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Rupert Smith" <rupertlssm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Continuous Build Server. Was: NEED HELP: getting the trunk back in order
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:26:41 GMT
I have tried out a few different build servers. I started by looking
at this feature matrix (probably not entirely complete or up to date):

http://damagecontrol.codehaus.org/Continuous+Integration+Server+Feature+Matrix

As you can see there are two that have more green ticks than the
others. Anthill Pro and Viewtier Parabuild. I tried both. Anthill Pro
looks very good (maven build running on my machine, configured in 18
minutes!). Parabuild looked pretty awfull.

Anthill Pro have offered to give us a free licence as they do this for
open source projects. The Apache Geronimo project has already set the
precedent by also using Anthill Pro 3. They've had their own debate,
around the subject of wether or not they should be using non-free,
non-open source software and whether or not using it will force people
building from a checkout to also use it. Read the debate here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-dev/200612.mbox/ajax/%3c18073DCE-7011-41D0-877F-45DD8F8CA1B8@planet57.com%3e

To summarize:

It won't force people to be dependant on anthill, because the build
server and build system are seperate things. The build system is
maven, make, msbuild etc. All anthill does is call it periodically to
do the build. The build system will still need to be maintained and
kept in working order for every day devlopment activity from the
command line.

As for non-free, non-os software. We already use Jira, Confluence, not
to mention MsBuild and Visual Studio, which kind of takes the moral
argument out of that point of view.

I'd like to propose that we accept Urban Code's kind offer of a free
licence. Their product is the only one which can do a fully automated
build over multiple languages and operating systems, call our test
scripts and collate the results.

Rupert