qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Rajith Attapattu" <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release Plan for post M2
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 17:14:59 GMT
On 3/6/07, Martin Ritchie <ritchiem@apache.org> wrote:

> On 06/03/07, Rajith Attapattu <rajith77@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I think it's a good time to get the ball rolling on the release plan for
> > post M2.
> > Here are some suggestions to start of with.
> >
> > Visioning:
> > I suggest to move away from Mx (or milestones) releases and use a
> numbering
> > scheme like 0.9x.x.
> > We could call the next release 0.90 and the subsequent releases as 0.91,
> > 0.92 ..etc
> > If we need to make bug fixes/updates to an existing release we can do an
> > interim release like 0.91.1, 0.91.2 etc
>
> I suggest we don't get to caught up in the nomeclature of our
> releases. Moving to a numbering scheme similar to AMQP is perhaps a
> reasonable approach. We started using Mx as that is the Incubator way.

Here are the reasons
a) For RPM packaging the numbering scheme works well than the Mx stuff.
Infact the Mx stuff causes some issues for our packaging effort.

b) 0.9x releases gives the impression that we are closer to a 1.0 release
and the truth is we do want to graduate soon and do a 1.0 release.

c) AFAIK Mx is not a hard requitment for incubating projects.

> Release Plan:
> > We need to make a release plan for each artifact (linked to the main
> release
> > page) and clearly capture what we are going to deliver.
> > This kind of visibility/planning is important for qpid users (and also
> > committers/contributors) to plan their development.
>
> I think if we are now targeting a user base then we need to have a user
> list.

Yes a user list might be helpful at some point.
But whether we have a user list or not, I think we need to plan for a user
base.

A release plan and a road map is still important for proper communication
among the qpid community.
Also in order to attract users to our project we need to clearly communicate
what our forward thinking is.