qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Tomas Restrepo" <tomas.restr...@devdeo.com>
Subject RE: Rationale for Message classes design
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2007 17:19:22 GMT
Hi Robert,

> If I understand you correctly I think you're trying to do what the
> message factory mechanism was intended to allow users to do - i.e.
> register new MIME types and process messages with those MIME types in
> special ways.

Not only when consuming messages, but also when creating them. Yes, it
appears the message factory mechanism was intented to do this to a point
(though it seems the upper level public APIs didn't quite keep this in
mind).

That said, from a user's perspective, I'd quite prefer to be able to simply
get a message and decide to interpret it *after* the fact. One particular
advantage of this is that it doesn't limit you to interpret a message a
single way right at the moment the message was received. With the current
mechanism, once the message factory decided the message was text you can't
really look at the message any other way.

Tomas Restrepo
http://www.winterdom.com/weblog/