qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Ritchie" <ritch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT] Qpid M2 Release
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:13:56 GMT
My understanding of the branching was that we created M2 so that the
new AMQP features could be moved to trunk and the _relatively_ stable
0.8 implementation could be wound up for release before we spend a
good few months getting the next implementation ready.

A good starting point would be with the set of of open bugs and
categorising them as M2 or M3 or later.

I shall certainly do that with what I have open.

The work that was done before on the legal notices won't work as we no
longer have that information in our repository. However one of the
driving forces behind the move to maven IIRC was to make this sort of
thing easier. Unfortunately I haven't heard from Steve V. in a while
as he would be the man with the answer, but maven must have a plug in
that can generate an Apache legal notice document based on the project
dependencies.

The java trunk vs M2 difference is that I'm working mainly on M2
finishing off the various outstanding issues I have and
"theoretically" merging them to trunk as I go. Unfortunately, I've not
had time to do the merging which really needs done before trunk runs
off with too many new changes that prevents the merge.

On 10/04/07, Rajith Attapattu <rajith77@gmail.com> wrote:
> Martin,
>
> I can help as much as I can and I hope that some of the work that we put in
> to the last release want have to be repeated.
> For example the legal notices, licenses etc.
>
> If there are any new dependencies that we have added please let us know. I
> will create a wiki page to track M2 progress.
> I cut the M2 branch based on request by JPM. However I am (or the community)
> is not sure what is happening where.
>
> What is going on in the java trunk vs the M2 branch ? are
> changes/improvements in the M2 being merged back to trunk?
> When is the plan for M2 release?
>
> So lets start there and  capture the items that going in to this release.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rajith
>

> On 4/10/07, Martin Ritchie <ritchiem@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Rajith,
> >
> > Let me say thanks aswell for stepping forward but just to let you know
> > being the release manager is more than just cutting an a few RCs.
> >
> > The incubator has a guide which is not yet complete but a good starting
> > read:
> > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
> >
> > In addition to this though I would say that the M2 branch has to much
> > development on it to release just now. I would suggest that we need to
> > set a cut off point for development. Of course having marked what
> > defects are to be included in M2. Then re-branch for RC cutting and
> > merging any resulting defects.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > On 10/04/07, Marnie McCormack <marnie.mccormack@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Rajith,
> > >
> > > Thanks !
> > >
> > > I think we need to create a list of tasks for M2, as we did for M1. I
> > > suspect there's a lot of cleaning up to be done before we can create RCs
> > ?
> > >
> > > We also need licenses etc all updated. A quick checlist for user docs on
> > the
> > > non-Java side is probably worthwhile (as this is their first release)
> > >
> > > Bye for now,
> > > Marnie

> > and

> > as