qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Arnaud Simon <asi...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [.Net] NMS
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:37:06 GMT
On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 10:21 +0100, Robert Greig wrote:
> However I would argue that having the same API across different
> languages is not actually that useful in all cases. In particular,
> where there is an established API in a language/platform that users
> are "likely" to be familiar with or use first.
>
> In the Java world, we obviously have JMS and that is why I have always
> said that no matter what we think of JMS any Qpid API must be an
> extension of JMS not a different approach. The situation where you say
> to users "if you want to use <advanced feature x> you need to use our
> other API and rewrite your application" is just unacceptable.

+1

> Having another API that we would support that sits under WCF is just
> making work for ourselves. If you have an API you have to document it,
> you have to promise to support it and not change it randomly from
> release to release and you have to be able to justify to users why you
> have several APIs.

As I said, we would not define the NMS API as we do not change the JMS
API. We would only implement it.

> On the subject of NMS, are its semantics documented carefully? We know
> from our experience of the JMS TCK that without clear and precise
> documentation (and ideally a test suite) it wouldn't really offer
> interop. Having an API isn't enough - for it to be worthwhile you need
> to offer users clear semantic guarantees.

I don think that implementing NMS would impact upon interop. An I agree
with you that having an API isn't enough but again I am suggesting that
we define it but that we implement it. Moreover this code should not
even be hosted by our project but rather on the NMS Apache project.

Arnaud