qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: problems trying to get qpid working
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:12:26 GMT
On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 21:04 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Hi,
> currently I'm trying to get qpid to work on my Fedora 7 machine but I keep
> running into obstacles. I first tried using the packages included in the
> distribution but I have been unable to compile a simple client because of
> include errors (e.g. "posix/check.h" seems to be required but is nowhere to
> be found on my system).

At present, you can probably avoid this problem by adding
-DUSE_APR_PLATFORM=1 to your compile line. You'll notice that this flag
is used in the default client program builds in svn at the moment. This
should be going away on the trunk fairly soon as we are moving away from
APR completely.

> Now I'm trying to compile a version from svn which seems to work until I
> get the following error:

> ar cru .libs/libLogger.a qpid/log/.libs/libLogger_la-Logger.o
> ranlib .libs/libLogger.a
> creating libLogger.la
> (cd .libs && rm -f libLogger.la && ln -s ../libLogger.la libLogger.la)
> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX   --mode=link g++ -Werror -pedantic -Wall
> -Wextra -Wno-shadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wno-long-long
> -Wvolatile-register-var -Winvalid-pch -Wno-system-headers
> -Woverloaded-virtual -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE
> -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -pthread -I/usr/include/apr-1   -DUSE_APR_PLATFORM=1
> -g -O2 -version-info 1:0:1  -o libqpidcommon.la -rpath /opt/amqp/lib
> qpid/sys/apr/APRAcceptor.lo qpid/sys/apr/APRBase.lo qpid/sys/apr/APRPool.lo
> qpid/sys/apr/APRSocket.lo qpid/sys/apr/LFProcessor.lo
> qpid/sys/apr/LFSessionContext.lo qpid/sys/apr/Socket.lo
> qpid/sys/apr/Time.lo qpid/sys/apr/Thread.lo  qpid/framing/AMQBody.lo
> qpid/framing/AMQRequestBody.lo qpid/framing/AMQResponseBody.lo
> qpid/framing/AMQContentBody.lo qpid/framing/AMQFrame.lo
> qpid/framing/AMQHeaderBody.lo qpid/framing/AMQHeartbeatBody.lo
> qpid/framing/AMQMethodBody.lo qpid/framing/MethodContext.lo
> qpid/framing/BasicHeaderProperties.lo qpid/framing/BodyHandler.lo
> qpid/framing/ChannelAdapter.lo qpid/framing/Buffer.lo
> qpid/framing/FieldTable.lo qpid/framing/FramingContent.lo
> qpid/framing/InitiationHandler.lo qpid/framing/ProtocolInitiation.lo
> qpid/framing/ProtocolVersion.lo qpid/framing/ProtocolVersionException.lo
> qpid/framing/Requester.lo qpid/framing/Responder.lo
> qpid/framing/Correlator.lo qpid/framing/Value.lo qpid/framing/Proxy.lo
> gen/qpid/framing/AMQP_ClientProxy.lo
> gen/qpid/framing/AMQP_MethodVersionMap.lo
> gen/qpid/framing/AMQP_ServerProxy.lo qpid/Exception.lo qpid/Url.lo
> qpid/QpidError.lo qpid/sys/Runnable.lo qpid/sys/ProducerConsumer.lo
> qpid/CommonOptions.lo qpid/log/Options.lo qpid/log/Selector.lo
> qpid/log/Statement.lo -lboost_program_options libLogger.la -lapr-1 -luuid
> -lcrypt -lpthread -ldl   -ldl -lrt
> libtool: link: `gen/qpid/framing/AMQP_ClientProxy.lo' is not a valid
> libtool object
> make[3]: *** [libqpidcommon.la] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/dennis/amqp/cpp/src'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/dennis/amqp/cpp/src'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dennis/amqp/cpp/src'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

This is the kind of problem you get from libtool when there's crud from
a previous compile left around. Either manually remove each of the .lo
files you get this message with, or "make clean" which should remove
all .lo files. This can also be triggered by parallel builds (make -j)
in older versions from svn, currently use of libtool should all be non
parallel to avoid this problem.

> What is the best way to go for someone who is interested to experiment with
> AMQP?

I'd say svn is the most reliable way at present. FWIW I currently
develop qpid using F7 x86_64 and the trunk of the svn repository.

Andrew