qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Greig" <robert.j.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: on how to use the qpid java client
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 14:29:28 GMT
On 06/06/07, Rajith Attapattu <rajith77@gmail.com> wrote:

> [RA] Sorry I don't buy this argument at all. Every project needs to make
> hard decisions and live with it.
> You know this more than me. IMHO It's better to have choices. People always
> feel they could have done it better after a while.
> This dilemma is every where. Should I use EJB3 or Spring/Hibernate ? should
> use JPA or not? Should I use log4j or not?

Every project does need to make decisions. But what I am saying is
that the cost of change is high. Given that, people may not want to
choose a less powerful API even though at the point they are making a
decision they cannot see an immediate need for a particular feature.

> These are questions almost everybody runs into. Before evaluating what
> options to use they need to evaluate their long term goals of the project.
> If they think they might use advanced AMQP features, yes why not use the
> "Almighty" API :)

Having a fully promoted, public API is a big deal. It needs full
documentation, examples and people expect a long term commitment to
it. That is ignoring any confusion you are creaeting among users by
having two APIs.

> > We need to have a discussion about our API strategy. Without getting
> > agreement on that now this discussion will keep coming up.
>
> [RA] The API strategy has nothing to do with the main goal of re-factoring.

Refactoring is a separate issue, yes. But you are talking about
creating a new API

> I think we had this discussion about API strategy several times over the
> last two years.
> And this is likely to continue for a while.

It's an important topic.

> [RA] Whether we advertise or not people will use what they want. A good
> example is what Hiram did to get AMQP support for ActiveMQ.
>  However I would personally opt to promote the low level API at the least.
> Robert Godfrey likes to see Qpid java client as well (I am neutral here).
> Let people use what they want.

We need a clear idea of why we are building software and how we expect
it to be used. If we don't even agree on how it should be used what
are our users to think?

RG