qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Robie <jonathan.ro...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: on how to use the qpid java client
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 15:04:32 GMT
Robert Greig wrote:
> Let me ask another question: if you came across a database startup
> that had some special features only available if you ditched JDBC,
> would you want to use that product? Would you invest your own money in
> that company?
This is a reasonably good analogy, but it argues against the point you
are trying to make.

If what I want is database functionality, and I want to be able to
access the database from multiple platforms, I can't use just JDBC, I
also need something that is not dependent on the Java language or the
Java platform, so I wind up using both JDBC and ODBC, and very likely
ADO.Net. Of course, not all databases support all of these interfaces,
and not all of these interfaces are available on all platforms, and
these three APIs are gratuitously different in things that could easily
have been done the same way.

Of course, in the database world, SQL implementations also differ
markedly, but suppose SQL worked the same way across databases and we
were designing an API to access relational databases across platforms
and languages. Would we want to use one model for everything but Java,
then use JDBC for Java? I think it would make much more sense to provide
one consistent API across languages, and provide an alternative Java
API, which would use the same code base as the native Java API.

Jonathan